We still can’t find turkey meat and Elliot’s never had meatloaf so here is an attempt at flavoring up a regular chicken mince loaf. It’s slightly low carb, relatively high in fat, but higher in protein… regardless not an everyday meal but a good one none the less.
You can funk this recipe up too: http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/buffalo-ranch-chicken-meatloaf-paleo/
Make it Mexican inspired, Italian… meatloaf is just a great base for anything.
- 1 yellow onion, peeled, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large stick celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- ½ large green pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 2 teaspoons of fresh)
- 1 teaspoon smokey paprika
- ½ cup rolled quinoa (can substitute fresh breadcrumbs also)
- 1 free-range or organic egg
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 500g chicken mince
- 8 Rashers of thin streaky bacon
- Preheat your oven to 190℃.
- In a food processor, chop the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, pepper and spinach finely. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the thyme, paprika, rolled quinoa and egg and mix to combine. Add the chicken mince and squeeze together to combine the ingredients well.
- Line a 12 x 22cm greased (or lined with aluminum) loaf tin with bacon, overlapping to cover base & sides of tin.
- Press the minced mixture in the tin (so it’s firmly packed), gently wrap the bacon around & sides of the mince.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, then uncover for the last 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain the delicious juices from the tin into a little jug and invert the loaf onto a tray. Place it under a moderate grill for 5 minutes or so to crisp the bacon.
- Slice with a serrated knife and serve with the reserved pan juices.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 5 avocados
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup salsa verde (check sugar)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup grilled corn *optional
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt to taste
- Mash one avocado and mix in the chicken, salsa verde, green onions, cilantro, corn, lime juice and salt.
- Slice the remaining avocados in half and fill with the chicken enchilada mixture.
Option: Top with shredded cheese and throw it them under them broiler to melt!
Option: Serve topped with crumbled cheese like queso fresco or feta!
- 1 1/4 lbs peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp (weight after peeled)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can coconut milk (check sugar!)
- 1/2 lime, squeezed
- Cauliflower rice to serve over
- In a medium pot, heat oil on medium-low heat. Add red peppers and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add scallion whites, 1/4 cup cilantro, garlic and red pepper flakes, cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt, increase heat and bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend and to thicken the sauce.
- Add shrimp and cook 5 to 6 minutes, until opaque and cooked through.
- Add lime juice.
- To serve, divide equally among 4 bowls, about 1 1/4 cups then top with scallions and cilantro.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 -1/2 cups (not including cauliflower rice)
- 1 cup ground golden flax seed or buy flax meal already ground
- 4 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or any oil
- 1 scoop (25g) Vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener (maple sugar erythritol, lakanto, coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup pecans/ walnuts chopped (pecans are lower in carbs but higher in fat)
- *top with cream cheese (check added sugars)
*Note: I like using golden flax seeds as I find the taste to be more mellow compared to dark brown flax seeds, but any color flax seed will work.
Preheat over to 325*F.
If starting with whole golden flax seed, grind it in a coffee grinder
, then measure 1 cup.
Mix ingredients together in a mixing bowl in the order they are listed. You can use an electric mixer if you’d like, but be sure to add in walnuts last, after using a mixer.
Laddel batter into silicone cups or lined muffin tin.
Bake at 325*F for 18 to 22 minutes.
Estimated Nutrition Information using myfitnesspal per serving of 1 muffin, based on making 12 muffins total. Data below is based on using a sugar alcohol to sweeten, if using coconut sugar, add 10 carbs and 36 calories per muffin.
- Calories: 219
- Total fat: 20 grams
- Total Carbs: 6 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 4 grams
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Protein: 6 grams
- 85% cocoa chips (optional)
*Or 100 g powdered sweetener
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and churn until frozen and light but creamy. Serve immediately or freeze until required. Store for up to 1 month in the freezer.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker (suchas myself), pour the sugar free mint ice cream into a shallow dish/ tupperware and pop in the freezer. If you want to get fancy- Stir each half hour to break up any ice crystals.
- Or just pour it in a tupperware and forget it for a couple hours then stir it a little
- Or just forget it over night and then put it in the blender again before serving like a milkshake
- You can also pour the ice cream mixture into popsicle molds instead.
You’ll need: A small step to scale moves up or down (optional)
How it works: Start with the warm-up. Then complete each pyramid once, alternating between exercises A and B for varying time intervals with 15 seconds of rest after each interval. After finishing each pyramid, recover for 2 minutes at an easy to moderate intensity by jogging forward and backward (or jogging for 1 minute, then performing skaters for 1 minute).
Warm-up: Do 30 seconds each:
- Alternating side-to-side squats (step right leg out to right, toes facing forward, and bend right knee to lower into squat with left leg straight; return to starting position, switch sides, and repeat)
- Triceps push-ups, alternating forward folds (touch fingers to floor if possible)
- Hip extensions (stand, arching back slightly)
- Alternating butt kicks and high knees.
Spider Lunge Pledge
A. Start on floor in plank on palms.
B. Jump left leg forward to the outside of left hand as you touch left hand to right shoulder.
C. Return left palm to starting position, then switch legs (lunge left leg back, right leg forward to outside of right hand) and bring right hand to left shoulder. Continue alternating as quickly as possible.
SCALE DOWN: Do the entire sequence with hands on a small step instead of floor.
A. Stand with feet farther than hip-width apart.
B. Tap left foot in toward midline of body, then immediately step it out to starting position. Switch sides; repeat.
C. Continue, pumping arms as if you were running and moving as quickly as possible.
SCALE UP: Start by straddling your step. Tap left foot atop step, then immediately place foot back down to the left side of step as you tap right foot atop step. Continue alternating.
Standing Long Jump
A. Stand with feet farther than hip-width apart.
B. Jump forward as far as possible, landing with soft knees.
C. Shuffle back to starting position, then perform a tuck jump.
D. Repeat, moving as quickly as possible.
SCALE DOWN: Instead of tuck jump, alternate bringing left and then right knee toward chest, touching hands to knee.
SCALE UP: Kick butt as you jump forward.
A. From standing, step left foot out to the left.
B. Jump right foot to meet left and tap toes to floor. Drive both arms back as you land.
C. Switch sides; repeat. Continue alternating as quickly as possible.
SCALE UP: Fold forward from standing, knees slightly bent, and place hands on step, shoulders directly over wrists and feet just to the left of the step. Jump up, placing body weight into hands and hopping over step to the right side. Repeat, moving as quickly as possible.
A. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, arms bent, hands by chin.
B. Jump as you kick left foot forward, then switch, kicking right foot forward after landing.
C. Continue alternating as quickly as possible.
SCALE DOWN: Instead of jumping, step forward, snapping kick out to front. Return to starting position. Switch sides and repeat.
Quarter Switch to Double Lunge
A. Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees slightly bent.
B. Jump up, doing a quarter turn to left, landing with soft knees, then jump back to starting position.
C. Jump up, landing in a lunge with left leg forward, bending both knees to 90 degrees. Repeat lunge jump, switching legs midair to land with right leg forward.
D. Return to starting position. Repeat sequence, turning to the right. Continue, moving as quickly as possible.