- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4-1/2 pounds stew beef, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (check the sugar count!)
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth/ 2 bouillon cubes with 2 cups water
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Place olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat on the stove-top.
- Toss beef with flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl until all the pieces all equally coated.
- Add beef to the hot pot and brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer beef and all it’s juices to the slow cooker.
- Add garlic, bay leaf, shallots, tomato paste and broth to the slow cooker. Stir to combine and set for 6 hours on low heat.
- Add zucchini and peppers 30 minutes before timer is up (after 5.5 hours of cooking), stir gently to combine and continue cooking with lid on for remaining 30 minutes. (*see note)
- Serve with grain of choice (shown with creamy cheese grits).