- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds zucchini, spiralized or shredded
- 2 bunches scallions, white and light green part only, finely chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded if desired, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour/ oat flour
- Canola or vegetable oil, or peanut oil for frying (at least 1/2 cup)
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Place spiralized or shredded zucchini and scallion in a colander. Toss with salt and let drain for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Squeeze excess moisture from the zucchini with your hands and transfer to a bowl. Season with black pepper as desired.
- Add jalapeno, garlic, eggs and flour and mix well.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, place scant 1/3-cup measures of the zucchini mixture into the hot oil. Press the mixture down to form an even, flat cake.
- Fry 3-4 minutes on the first side, flip and fry 2-3 minutes on the other side. (Reduce heat to medium if fritters are browning too quickly.) Drain on a wire rack.
- Repeat until all the zucchini mixture is cooked.
CILANTRO LIME SOUR CREAM
- Combine all ingredients in a deep bowl or beaker. Using an immersion blender, process until smooth.
Serve with fritters.
FREEZER-FRIENDLY! Make as directed and freeze on a baking sheet. Then, place in a zipper-top freezer bag and remove fritters as needed. No need to thaw. Just place in the oven at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes to heat through.