- 1 can low sodium black beans, drained
- 1 can low sodium garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 2 oz can green hatch chiles
- 1 tsp each: garlic powder, cumin, chili powder
- 1/2 tsp each: paprika, black pepper
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 2.5 tbsp water)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, 2-3 inches in diameter
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- Make flax egg in small ramekin or dish. Let sit.
- Add garbanzo beans and oat bran to food processor or super blender.
- Pulse about 30 seconds or until texture is like a gritty flour.
- Next add egg of your choice, spices and green chiles and pulse until well incorporated.
- Finally add the black beans and pulse until desired texture is reached. I prefer to have some of the black beans stand out but you can pulse them completely if you’d like.
- Pour ingredients into a bowl and fold in the garbanzo flour to bind until well incorporated.
- Slice sweet potatoes and/or potatoes into 1/3-1/2 inch slices and toss in oil.
- Heat grill to 450.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of burger mixture onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper. Be sure this is a sheet you don’t mind putting over flames on the grill!
- Place baking sheet directly on grill grates and the sweet potato rounds directly on grill grates.
- Cook burgers for about 6 minutes then flip and cook an additional 5 with the grill covered. *
- Cook sweet potato rounds 4-5 minutes then flip and cook an additional 3-4 with grill covered.*
- Build your burger
To make burgers in oven:
- Heat to 350 degrees
- Bake for 10 minutes then remove and flip over
- Place back in oven for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and serve, refrigerate or freeze
*Depending on your grill size and other factors, it make take more or less time so keep an eye on the sweet potatoes especially!