- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 spring onions, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup steamed kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs ( GF friends: be sure to use GF breadcrumbs. I always make my own.*)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- optional toppings: avocado, cilantro, lemon juice, salsa verde, garlic oil
- If you happen to already have leftover cooked grains on hand, this recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups. Otherwise, whip up some quinoa from scratch… Rinse 1 cup of quinoa thoroughly and place the grains in a medium sauce pan with 2 cups of water. Allow quinoa to soak for 15 minutes. Then, with the lid on the pan, bring the water to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until quinoa is tender and has absorbed the liquid – about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temp.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked quinoa, eggs, Parm, spring onions, garlic, salt, steamed kale, and breadcrumbs. Let everything sit for a few minutes to absorb the liquid. You want the batter to be moist, but not runny. Form patties and get your pan ready for cookin’.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook up to 6 patties at at time (don’t overcrowd the pan). Cover the pan and let the cuties cook for 7-10 minutes until the underbellies are a deep rich brown. Flip and cook the other side for another 7-10 minutes until both sides are nice and brown. Let patties rest on a cooling rack while you finish the next batch.