For the spaghetti squash:
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons of fish sauce
- Salt to taste
For the chicken meatballs:
- 500 grams of minced chicken
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
- Zest of one lime
- 1 teaspoon of fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons of caster sugar
- 1/2 a bunch of coriander, chopped
- Pinch of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Pinch of pepper
Chives for garnish
1.Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice the squash in half. Spoon out the seeds and the stringy bits of flesh. Place the squash with the cut side down on the prepared baking sheet. Add ½ cup of water. This will help it steam. Roast it for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the squash. Remove it from the oven and using a fork, scrape off the flesh. Transfer it to a bowl. Set it aside.
3. To make the meatballs, place all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix it with your hands. Then cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Once the 30 minutes are up, start shaping the meatballs. I made them small, about 22 meatballs. Once they are all done, pour about 1/3 of a cup of vegetable oil into a large pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, cook the meatballs until evenly browned and cooked through. This will take about 8 minutes. I cooked them in 2 batches.
5.To make the Vietnamese garlic sauce, add the butter and olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the garlic and brown sugar. Cook for a few minutes while stirring. You want the sugar to melt as much as possible without burning the garlic. Then add the fish sauce and some salt. Stir and add the cooked spaghetti squash. Mix it well with the sauce and taste for salt.
Serve the spaghetti squash with the meatballs and garnish with some chopped chives.