So I found this recipe using normal spaghetti noodles and ground beef and it looked delicious and fun. Ive switched up the ingredients to be a little healthier! Unfortunately the photos are from the original recipe, for now! Will update with my photos the second I get out of temp housing and am reunited with my cooking and baking utensils.
*I’d assume you can also do this with Zucchini noodles, thank goodness because I don’t think Spaghetti squash exist in the Netherlands
- 1 pound ground Turkey or Chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- olive oil, to cook in pan (optional)
- 1 jar Low Sugar traditional spaghetti sauce
SPAGHETTI SQUASH NOODLE CUP INGREDIENTS
- 2 Large zucchinis- spiralized and dabbed with a towel to remove excess water
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 2 egg whites
Extra mozzarella or Parmesan, to garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using a large, sharp knife, cut the spaghetti squash in half. Scrape out the seeds using a spoon and sprinkle the cut sides with olive oil. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet and roast until tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes. When the squash is done, use a fork to scrape out the flesh of each half into “noodles”. Place the noodles in a colander or sieve and drain for 10 minutes to remove the extra moisture.
- In a large bowl, combine meat, garlic, and salt/pepper. Mix well and roll into 1 inch balls (or ½ inch if making mini spaghetti cups).
- Using a large skillet, heat up a couple tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high. Add meatballs and brown all sides. You will not have to cook the meat through.
- In a large sauce pan, add browned meatballs and sauce. Allow to cook COVERED in sauce over medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring very gently a couple of times.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk egg whites and then add to cooled spaghetti squash noodles. Stir in Parmesan cheeses until combined.
- Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin pan (or a mini pan if you want smaller portions to go a long way) with cooking spray or use baking cups, and place about 1/3 cup of spaghetti mixture in each cup. Press down on the center and up the sides of the spaghetti with your fingers, forming a “bowl”.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- When spaghetti cups are finished baking, allow to cool for a minute or so. Using a fork, remove them from muffin pan to a serving plate. When you are ready to serve, add a tablespoon (or a teaspoon if using mini cups) of sauce (from meatballs), a meatball and garnish with cheese.