Two things never go out of season; Christmas music and Pumpkin Pie!
This smells, taste, and serves just like a regular pumpkin pie with half the calories. You can also make it in a casserole dish and make the filling spread thinner for more of a bar like look. Great for breakfast (add greek yogurt!), desserts (add almonds and brown sugar to the top), and on the go power snacking (add granola). I was super impressed how well once chilled it held up to cutting and keeping its shape while serving. Seriously looks just like regular pumpkin pie.
- 1/2 cup of almonds or pecans, finely ground in blender until flour like (or almond flour)
- 1/2 cup of oat flour, (old fashioned oats finely ground in blender until flour like.)
- 2 TBSP of coconut oil plus some to grease pie pan
- 1 egg
- Cinnamon powder (1/4-1/2 tsp or to taste)
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin (nothing added) or approx 2 cups of homemade pureed pumpkin with excess liquid drained
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup of honey (or to taste) – can substitute with pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon of pumpkin pie spices or about 2 teaspoons cinnamon and ¼ tsp each of cloves, ginger and nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla
- coconut or cashew milk to thin (no more than about ⅓ cup)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease pie pan with coconut oil and mix crust ingredients by hand in a medium sized bowl.
- Press crust into bottom and sides of pie pan and put in the oven while making the filling.
- In the same bowl (no need for extra dishes!) combine the filling ingredients (except coconut milk) and mix using an immersion blender. If you don’t have one of these, use a regular blender or food processor. A hand-mixer will not get it as smooth! It should be smooth and spreadable, but not really pourable. Slowly add in nut milk if needed to thin slightly.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove the crust as it barely starts to brown.
- Pour/smooth the filling over the crust and return to oven for about an hour or until center is no longer jiggly. Will set more as it cooks.
- Top with coconut cream or whip some greek yogurt and maple syrup together and some chopped pecans.