These are great for a sweet breakfast treat or making friends at horse shows.
*Im a lemon fiend, so I typically double the vitamin C levels.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (can sub half whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TBS chia seeds
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (can sub coconut oil)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 TBS fresh lemon juice (about one lemon)
- 6 oz. fresh (or if you are like me and can’t wait until they are back in season, frozen) raspberries mixed with 1 TBS all purpose flour
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 large (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray, or line with paper liners.
Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the lemon in long strips. Combine the zest and sugar in a food processor; pulse until the zest is very finely chopped into the sugar. Add yogurt, oil, egg, and vanilla. Pulse until blended.Combine whole-wheat flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the yogurt mixture, and fold until almost blended. Gently fold in raspberries. Divide the batter (it will be thick) among the muffin cups.
Bake the muffins until the edges and tops are golden, 18 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm.
Makes one dozen delicious, take me to work with a side of yogurt breakfast, muffins.