Lots of good proteins and makes for great leftovers. This is a bit of a kitchen sink recipe- add the basic ingredients AND THEN ALL OF THE OTHER THINGS YOU WANT!
- 2 Cups whole wheat (they make all sorts of exciting new pastas break outta that comfort zone and try something new and save on carbs and cals while doing it) ziti pasta, uncooked
- 2 Tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 Carrot diced*
- 1 Tbsp (or 5lbs*) garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- ½ tsp burger seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 Can red beans*
- 2 — 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes or 4 roma tomatoes diced*
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese
- Red pepper flakes for taste*
*My kitchen sink adds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large stock pot, cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, add olive oil and cook onions and garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned. Add salt, pepper and burger seasoning to ground turkey while cooking.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato paste and mustard.
- Allow the mixture to cook and thicken until bubbly.
- Add the pasta to sauce and mix to cover evenly.
- Transfer mixture to casserole dish.
- Top with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with chopped dill pickles before serving (optional, if you’re into it