Ingredients (makes 22-24 macaroons)
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut (225 g /8 oz)
- 4 large egg whites
- ⅛ tsp sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- ½ cup powdered Erythritol or
- Swerve (80 g/ 2.8 oz)
- 1 tsp sugar-free almond extract or
- sugar-free vanilla extract
- 100 g 90% dark chocolate, melted (3.5 oz)
1. Place the shredded coconut on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Toast the coconut in the oven at 300 F/ 150 C for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool down.
2. Place the egg whites in a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Beat the egg whites until fluffy. Add the powdered Erythritol and beat until the they create soft peaks. Easy Keto Coconut Macaroons
To the bowl with the egg whites, add the toasted and cooled coconut. Finally, mix in the almond extract.
3. Using a spoon and your hands, create 22-24 small macaroons. Place them on the baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Use two trays if needed. Easy Keto Coconut Macaroons
Bake the macaroons at 300 F/ 150 C (fan assisted) for 10 minutes, and then turn the temperature down to 130 C/ 265 F and bake for 20 more minutes.
4. Remove the macaroons from the oven and let them cool down on a cooling rack.
5. Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler or a glass bowl on top of a small saucepan filled with a cup of water over a medium heat. Once completely melted, remove from the heat and set aside to cool down. The chocolate should not be hot when you use it for coating.
Decorate the macaroons by dipping the bottom parts in melted dark chocolate. Place them back on the tray. Drizzle any leftover chocolate on top of the macaroons. Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes or until set.
Tip: To help the chocolate solidify quickly, the melted chocolate should be cooled to room temperature before decorating. Placing the macaroons in the freezer for 10 minutes will also speed up the process.